Onward is a not-for-profit thinktank whose mission it is to renew the centre right by generating new ideas and reaching out to new groups of people. Since we launched in 2018, we have built a reputation as one of Westminster’s most influential and innovative thinktanks.
Head of Net Zero
Onward is looking for an exceptional candidate to lead our Getting to Zero research programme. The successful candidate will need at least 5 years’ experience writing high quality research, ideally in energy and environment policy, and be able to demonstrate project management experience. They must also be comfortable engaging with and contributing to public policy debates, including through the media, policy events and meetings with MPs and civil servants.
The successful candidate would be joining Onward at an important time for the organisation and the Net Zero debate following COP26 this year. Having launched three years ago, we have quickly established a reputation for rigorous research that gets traction not only in newspapers but in government policy. We pride ourselves on developing policy ideas that are timely, practical to deliver and politically possible.
- Manage a net zero research team, including taking charge of editing research, chairing events, contributing to media and overseeing fundraising.
- Conduct high quality research on energy and environmental policy, with demonstrable experience conducting data-driven analysis.
- Have a strong understanding of modern British politics and the politics surrounding the net zero debate.
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders at the highest levels of government, the media, industry and among the policy community.
- Plan and deliver Onward events, including roundtables, panels, and policy workshops.
- Produce regular articles for newspapers, websites and other outlets.
- Be confident chairing events and speaking to broadcast media about key energy and environment issues.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Competitive.
Working pattern: 9am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday, flexible working from home and the Westminster Office.
Start Date: Flexible. Ideally by November 2021.
Application details: To apply for this role, please send your CV, a one page cover letter and any relevant published research to email@example.com
Closing Date: 9am, 27th September 2021
Onward is a not-for-profit campaigning thinktank that exists to renew the centre right by generating new ideas and reaching out to new groups of people. Our team has worked in the highest levels of government and existing think tanks and we have the networks and experience to turn ideas into practical, popular policies that work. We believe in an economy that works for everyone, government that is strong, and a society built on community and a sense of belonging.
Our advisory board includes leading parliamentarians, business people and former government advisers, including Lord Finkelstein, Tom Tugendhat MP, John Lamont MP, Neil O’Brien MP, Siobhan Baillie MP, Anthony Browne MP, Claire Coutinho MP, Seema Kennedy, Lord O’Shaughnessy, Baroness Rock, Baroness Fall, Craig Elder, James Kanagasooriam, and Nick Faith.